Listen to this article - Play Now
Back pain is an extremely common condition in adults and older people. There are various reasons for back pain such as trauma, accident, everyday activity done incorrectly and many more. Here are some facts and tips you need to know about back pain
Frequent causes of back pain
• Strained muscles
• Lifting something too heavy
• A number of structural problems like ruptured discs, bulging disks, arthritis, osteoporosis, kidney problems etc.
• Medical conditions like cancer/infection of the spine, sleep disorders, shingles
Do this when you have back pain
• Lie down on your back on the flat surface and place a pillow under your knees and head
• These positions take the pressure and weight off your back.
• Walk very slowly for a few minutes every hour, even if it hurts
• Take this sort of rest for a few days before your final start feeling better.
• Maintain a healthy weight as excess weight adds more pressure on your back.
• Stay active with gentle exercises such as walking or swimming.
For temporary relief,
• Use heating pads or ice packs for 20-30 minutes on the area that hurts.
• Get massages, acupuncture or energy treatments done.
• Also, try relaxing in a hot tub or bath.
Know these emergencies and consult the doctor immediately if-
• The pain goes down your leg
• Your leg, foot, groin, or rectal area feels numb
• You have fever, nausea, vomiting, weakness or sweating.
• You have severe pain, and you can’t move around.
• Your pain does not decrease even after 2-3 weeks.
• An injury caused your pain.
• You lose control of your bladder or bowel movements.
Recent Post – TASMAC reopens in Chennai on 18th August 2020